The character questionnaire is an optional, but very useful character creation tool. By filling out these questions about your characters, you will gain a better understanding of who they are, where they came from, where they are going, and what makes them particularly special. Players should be en- couraged to respond to as few or as many of these questions as they would like, but to try and consider each of them.
This is not meant to be a definitive list of all of the questions that can or should be asked. As usual, feel free to add, subtract, or modify the questionnaire as you see fit.
- What is the character’s true name?
- What is the character’s present occupation or role?
- Character’s physical description: ethnicity, gender, age, height, weight, hair color, hair style, eye color.
- What are the character’s distinguishing features?
- Does the character have any strong affinities, emotional hang-ups, mental health issues, etc.?
- What was the character’s place of birth? 6a. What is the character’s true origin?
- What is the character’s origin as he/she knows it (if different)?
- Does the character have any formal (or informal) education/vocational training?
- Does the character have any (legitimate) work experience? What was his/her reaction to the job(s)?
- Who is the character’s best friend?
- Who are the character’s primary contacts, patrons, or enemies (and why)?Does the character have any family?
- If so, what are their occupations, statuses, locations, current relationships with the character?
- What are the character’s strongest and weakest traits?
- How does the character see him/herself?
How is the character seen by others?
- What is the character’s basic nature?
- Does the character have a sense of humor (if so, what kind)?
- What are the character’s ambition(s)?
- What is the character’s philosophy of life?
- Does the character have any hobbies? If so, what are they?
- What kinds of art, music, and recreation does the character prefer?
- What is the significance, if any, of the character’s working clothes (style, insignia, colors, etc.)?
- What are the character’s favorite past-times?
- What’s the character’s home environment like (physical living condition, economic level, etc.)?
- What is the most important fact that should be known about this character?
- How would you characterize this person in one sentence?
- What unique talents or equipment does this character have?
- What makes this character different from others?
- Why do you like or hate this character and why are you willing to play him/her?
- Why will others like or hate them?
- Why will this character be memorable?
Psi-punk Copyright 2012, Accessible Games; Author Jacob Wood